Transportation in Australia

Driving regulations differ from State to State in Australia. In some states, if you hold a temporary visa, you are not required to get an Australian driver licence and or/learner permit as you are allowed to use your current overseas driver licence for the length of your stay.
Other states, however, require permanent visa holders to get an Australian driver licence six months from the date they first entered Australia.
If you want to drive, it is best to consult your Australian State's traffic authority or territory for further information. Choose the State or territory you will be driving in to find out more about driving with a foreign licence.

Transport Concessions in the Different States

The ACT government provides transport concessions. Just present your formal student identification card or upon successful application for an ACTION Students Concession Card. For more info on student concession cards for the ACT, visit ACTION.

Generally, international students are not eligible for transport concessions. Still, tertiary institutions can now offer discounts on My Multi passes, offering periodic unlimited travel on buses, trains, light rail and ferries in Greater Sydney, the Hunter and Illawarra. International students are only entitled to concession fares when specified Australian Government scholarships fully fund their study. For further details, please refer to Transport For NSW.

School students travel free by presenting a valid student card. However, university and VET students are allowed unlimited bus travel for three hours on any scheduled public bus service at the cost of $1.00 with a valid student card. Details are available on the NT Department of Transport website.

You are eligible for concessions on public transport if you are a full-time international student studying in a course approved by Centrelink for Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance purposes. Check out the Translink website for full details on Queensland concession fares.

As an international student in South Australia, you may be eligible for transport concessions upon presenting your formal student identification card. Go to Adelaide Metro for further information on fares and conditions.

Students may be eligible for a concession card if they are studying as part of an approved exchange program, have refugee status or hold an Australian Development Scholarship. Get detailed information from Public Transport Victoria or check with your education provider about your eligibility.

International students and local students are eligible for the same travel concessions. For more details on transport concessions in Tasmania, visit Tasmanian Government Discounts & Concessions.

International students studying full time in Western Australia are eligible for transport concessions. Get more information about concession passes on the Transperth website.


Happy clients are the bedrock of any strong business and ours is no
exception. Read our testimonials below.

Would you like to know more about Transportation in Australia ? Contact us



September 2022
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun



Open chat